A friend of mine in a-long-term-committed-relationship proposed marriage to me after trying this hummus. I’m just sayin’ it’s THAT good. (Although, warning… it may cause an episode of dragon breath-it’s totally worth it though)
Cilantro & Ginger Hummus
1 can (15 ounces)
chickpeas (you can use dry and cook your own too) I really like Ziyad Hummos Tahini Chickpea Dip- found in ethnic food section at Kroger
1/2 cup tahini
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup cilantro
juice from 1/2 a lemon
1/4 cup water (or reserve the chickpea cooking water if you use dry beans)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
First you need to peel off the chickpea skins. Don’t they look weird?! Like little snake skins or something…
In a food processor blend can of chickpea dip,
the chickpeas until they are a coarse grain. Now add the tahini, garlic, ginger, lemon juice, cilantro and salt. Blend for a full minute or two. Now with the processor still running drizzle in the oil and then the water. For an even smoother, thinner consistency add more water.
original recipe found here: http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2013/01/cilantro-ginger-hummus.html
*part of 40 in 2013*
These were incredible! So yummy I made them twice! The first time I used stale marshmallows and produced more chocolate covered grahams with blocks of marshmallow and chocolate and cereal mix. Round two came out “perfect”!
#2 Recipe found here: http://www.countrycleaver.com/2012/06/smores-graham-krispie-treats-and-tuesday-wedding-things.html
S’mores Graham Krispie Treats
Yield: 12 Bars
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 25 Minutes
A twist on a campfire classic treat
1 bag (10 oz) Mini Marshmallows
1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate chips
1 box (12 0z) Golden Grahams Cereal
6 Tbsp Butter
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
Non-Stick Cooking Spray
In a 9×9 inch baking pan, spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large non-stick pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add in marshmallows and stir together with butter until marshmallows have melted and become creamy. Stir in vanilla extract.
Fold in grahams cereal until all marshmallows and grahams are evenly mixed together. Mix in 1 cup of chocolate chips. Spread treats into sprayed baking pan. Place into fridge for 15 minutes to cool.
Slice into bars and serve. Devour.
*I set a goal to cook/bake/make 40 new things in 2013*
I pin food things (and drinks) on pinterest, but if I’m not going to make them then it’s just internet clutter. And who likes clutter? So I thinned down my boards to things I would actually make and I’ve been slowly working through making new things. It boiled down to 1 per week skipping 12 weeks. That sounded totally manageable. You can see though… I’m quite behind.
My notes: I used a roasting pan-not so great idea b/c the sugar burned… I would try this again in a glass baking dish, bonus points- Jeremy liked it, we had the roasted brussels sprouts with it
Here’s the recipe from: http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-garlic-chicken-5478
#1. Easy Garlic Chicken
Total Time: 30 mins
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
additional herbs and spices, as desired
1) Preheat oven to 450°F Line a baking dish or cookie sheet with aluminum foil and lightly coat with cooking spray or lightly brush with oil.
2) In small sauté pan, sauté garlic with the oil until tender.
3) Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar. Add additional herbs and spices as desired.
4) Place chicken breasts in a prepared baking dish and cover with the garlic and brown sugar mixture.
5) Add salt and pepper to taste.
6) Bake uncovered for 15-30 minutes, or until juices run clear. Cooking time will depend on the size and thickness of your chicken.
Anything by Alton Brown from the show Good Eats.
We own 3 cook books by Alton Brown and I believe, unless I’m mistaken, all of the Good Eats television series.
Some of our current favorites by Alton include:
- Duck!– This recipe leaves out, Nicole’s FAVORITE food in the entire world, however it IS included in the cook book! The water concoction left in the pot after you steam the duck… is the PERFECT cooking environment for 5-6 medium sized, quartered red potatoes…. food nirvana.
- Baby Back Ribs– You’ll never want to eat any other kinds of ribs
- Roast Turkey– You’ll fall in love with white meat!